Thursday, July 10, 2008

Venus in Scorpio as the muse - part I

Sleeping Venus by Giorgione



Yes, I'm afraid I had to split this Venus chapter into 2 for two reasons: lots of juicy information and a wonderful palette of lyrics including: pop, rock, folk, electronica, indie, grime and even a french First Lady! But let's begin:


Take a Water (feminine) sign and mix it with two (masculine) planet rulers with the calibre of Mars (god of War) and Pluto (god of Death). Then apply this mix into a feminine planet representing the way people love and their feminine side (Venus) and it all sounds a bit too heavy, don't you think?

And it is! With this position love is never a light and fun thing, but a deep, life-changing experience that usually leaves some scarrs (for better or worse). Take Bruce Springsteen (Sun in Libra) whose lyrics could write a seminar on Venus in Scorpio and his iconic song I'm on fire: Sometimes it's like someone took a knife baby, edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul. Tormented is a good description.

Scorpio is the sign most connected to the dark side of things, being very aware of the most underground tendencies within each human being and recognizing that there's both Good and Evil in everyone. Take Jeff Buckley's (Sun in Scorpio) lyrics for instance: dark, mysterious, always mentioning death, life, embers, being reborn, angels and ghosts. Scorpios are experts at identifying your own secret side and exposing it in direct light, even if you are not aware of this side yourself. Scary, huh? But remember that were still talking about a Water sign, very susceptible to feelings, very emphatic and compassionate. Usually it's their intensity and their aptitude for intimacy that draws people to them.


It isn't easy to start a relationship with someone with Venus in Scorpio - they might appear like loners because they don't like to relate to a great number of people and are very discriminative of whom they relate to. Maybe they won't even give you the chance to introduce yourself because they have a general mistrust of people. Bruce Springsteen sings: Girl, ain't no kindness in the face of strangers, Ain't gonna find no miracles here. They are always allert and expecting the worst from others and life (the price to pay for knowing the dark side).


It's the same thing with love: Beth Orton (Sagittarius Sun) sings: Love is a one way train, comes on gentle as a hurricane, it's got p.a.i.n. written all the way through. Mike Skinner from The Streets (Sagittarius Sun as well) in one of his songs about love, comments: It weren't supposed to be easy, surely. These people are no romantics. Springsteen sings: True love can't be no fairytale and Ain't no church bells ringing, Ain't no flags unfurled, It's just me and you and the love we're bringing into the real world. Like other Water signs, they are oversensitive and take measures to protect themselves. Natalie Merchant (Sun in Scorpio) is metaphorical: Gotta build yourself a levee deep inside, Build yourself a levee girl when the waters run high.


In fact, when they're entering a relationship they're pessimistic to a fault. Listen to Natalie Merchant for example: So you're in love, it's so good for you, live it up girl cause it never lasted long, it's heaven for now but not for long, it's gonna hurt, it's gonna make you feel so bad. Maybe it's others who ruin it: Mike Skinner asks - Can you rely on anyone in this World? No you can't, is his answer. Or maybe it's themselves: Nelly Furtado (Sun in Sagittarius) warns:...I will only cause you pain (I promise that); Beth Orton agrees: Yeah, we only hurt the ones we love, while...we don't need a reason. Jeff Buckley shared the same problem: I've loved so many times and I've drowned them all. Or maybe it's something else: It ought to be easy (..) simple enough, man meets a woman and they fall in love, but the house is haunted and the ride gets rough, and you've gotto learn to live with what you can't rise above.


Scorpio's biggest fear is losing control of themselves and their lives. They won't find it funny if a loved one attempts to change them - they take it upon themselves to transform periodically, just like the snake shades its skin or the phoenix is reborn from the embers (two symbols of this sign). Having Mars as a co-ruler makes Scorpio extremely individualistic and building their own path in life (being the only god of their soul) is their biggest goal.


You won't find many of them getting drunk and making a fool of themselves or enjoying frivilous occupations. This isn't the kind of partner who will kneel on your feet with declarations of endless love. Venus in Scorpio is always dignified, always in control, always right. Natalie Merchant sings: I'm not gonna beg you for nothing, I'm not gonna beg you for love. One of Mike Skinner's songs is about a man smitten by a lady and it's called: don't mug yourself! Nelly Furtado confesses: I pretend to be cool with me, want to believe that I can do it on my own without my heart on my sleeve. Springsteen also sings: you're so afraid of being somebody's fool, not walking tough baby, not walking cool. They need a lot of daily introspection and are always seeking the explanation to everything: how they feel, how you feel (because they always know!), why you said this, why you didn't say that...You may feel like telling them to lighten up a little but they are simply too serious about love.

Venus in Scorpio? You?

25 comments:

lissa said...

i'm a scorpio. i always love reading things about us. we really are the most interesting and misunderstood sign. this was really a fun read. the quotes were ridiculously good. i wish i knew everything or even half of everything.

unpretentious said...

"So you're in love, it's so good for you, live it up girl cause it never lasted long, it's heaven for now but not for long, it's gonna hurt, it's gonna make you feel so bad"
now i'd like to listen to that song sometime:)

Shadow said...

me a scorpio. does that make me an automatic scorpio in venus? hmmm, lemme follow your link....

Niall young said...

This is great...i love it!..I'm going to really enjoy re reading your post and the next bit...I am unashamedly Venus in scorpio too as you know...!:-)

Devil Mood said...

Lissa: That's true, there's a lot of myths about Scorpio (namely sex and jealousy), I'm trying to tackle them in this and in the next post ;)

Unpretentious: And you can! Here: http://www.lastfm.com.br/music/Natalie+Merchant/_/The+Worst+Thing

It's a beautiful song, I love it!

Shadow: It depends, it isn't necessarily so. But follow the link and there's a table there and you'll find out :)

Niall: I'm glad because there's nothing to be ashamed about. And special Venus signs deserve a two part post ;)

Violet said...

Gosh, I miss scorpio energy, the intensity and intimacy.

I don't enjoy their love of drama though. It took me the better part of my life to learn they secretly enjoy stress and drama, so I could finally stop worrying about them, and stop being empathic.
the venus in scorpio I know better are conjunct saturn, so definatly not fun and games.

Anonymous said...

In the lyrics department I really liked the last two Springsteen quotes, especially this, the big, whopping truth, “you’ve got to learn to live with what you can’t rise above.” I guess this Pisces has become weary of “dreamy”!

Anonymous said...

Violet: Sorry, didn't realise I hadn't replied yet. I don't think Venus in Scorpio can ever be fun, even if it's tied with Jupiter. The games, perhaps, if it's a game of control. ;)

MissAlister: "...if you want to ride in through this tunnel of love", that's how it goes. You won't believe the crush I have on Bruce Springsteen after reading his lyrics. I'm stunned.

Gill said...

Hi! I think I have a lot of scorpio rising in each house. However I am Capricorn. But the sun was in Scorpio scorpio scorpio.
Crazy!
xoxo
See you in two weeks ish!
xoxoxo~!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. B has Venus/Moon conjunct in Scorpio and I find everything you put here is so poignant!
I love these posts.

Devil Mood said...

Gillian: I think I know what you mean, even though it's astrologically incorrect. ;) Have a good holiday!

Chrispito: Hi! Thanks. I'm also speaking from experience on this one. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've got natal Venus, AND Moon, AND Neptune in Scorpio. Songs like "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette (she, too, is actually a Venus in Scorpio) and "Criminal" by Fiona Apple.

Anonymous said...

I also find that the blues, in general, are VERY Venus in Scorpio.

And how about "Damn, I wish I was your Lover" by Sophie B. Hawkins? :-)

Devil Mood said...

Silverskye: hi! Alanis has Venus in Taurus (I've done an article about that too), she's a Gemini so she couldn't have Venus in Scorpio, which doesn't mean that she can't have a strong Scorpio influence of course. And I know what you mean about that song sounding like Venus in Scorpio!
Actually I like all the songs you mentioned, but Fiona has Venus in Leo. As for Sophie B Hawkins I don't know! ;)

snowtopaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have a venus in scorpio and everything you have written here is damn right!
Life is tiresome until you find your love for a venus in scorp... :(

aaron said...

No, venus in scorpio is not "oversensitive". We may be more sensitive and present than others in some ways in this area, but that most certainly is not being over sensitive, but alive, real, sensitive.

Most of what is expressed in this first part of the article I can say feels true at its core for my experience of venus in scorpio. Though part 2 feels more accurate in my experience.

Devil Mood said...

Anonymous: Glad you liked the post!

Aaron: thanks for your input, always appreciated!

Indian Astrology said...

Astrology is the branch of science that deals with the movement of planets and their effects on our life. It is one of the most important forms of the science that has been evolving through hundreds of years and has taken the shape of a revolution today.

Anonymous said...

Being a Venus in Scorpio may be beautiful, but it is a difficult affliction to live with.

Devil Mood said...

Anonymous: Ha, indeed!

Missmantra said...

I am a Virgo (sun sign)but my Venus in Scorpio this article describes me perfectly. Now I know why I behave the way I do in relationships..before reading this I thought I was just crazy...Please keep wiring for articles like this...

Devil Mood said...

MissMantra: Definitely not crazy and if this article made you understand yourself better, then I am very glad! Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

I agree that we attract the wrong kind of attention. People think we're interested when we're not. But then sometimes(rarely since we're so picky) we actually are and it's difficult to follow through on that, because you never know if someone is attracted to you because of the 'venus in Scorpio' committed/sexy/stalker vibe you exude or because they actually like you. I have a four planet(sun, mercury, saturn in the tenth house & uranus in the eleventh) stellium in Sagittarius, but a midheaven/medium Coeli, venus (tenth house) and pluto (ninth house) in Scorpio.

I like the last paragraph here:
http://www.cainer.com/venus/venussc.html "Well, thankfully Venus is not about strategy. It is all about inspiration and natural serendipity. You WERE in the right place at the right time on that day, even if you thought it was 'all wrong'. And whatever you wanted most, you WILL soon see a way to get.
Rather delightfully, it will turn out to be the very thing you need more than anything else in the next few months and years. All you need to contribute to the process, other than a lot of honest effort at certain obvious moments, is as much sensitivity and sincerity as you can muster. "

Devil Mood said...

Hi Anonymous,
very valid points you make there and easy to relate for me with a lot of placements in both those signs.
Best of luck and serendipity to us is all I can say ;) Let's hope to be inspired.