Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Back to life, back to reality


I'd love to be detached from reality a bit more time but it's hard when the holidays now seem like a distant memory. So, what's been happening?

Athletics: I love watching the athletics championships every year. I think I go back to being a child when I do, because it seems I still hope one day I'll be an athlete. I don't know where I came up with this since I've always been lazy...Still, I enjoy it immensely.
Portugal got two medals yesterday: a bronze in the 20km race walk , totally unexpected - by the way, do you know how much money he got? 750 euros for a 3rd place (this is outrageous if you look at the millions footballers make for things that are much less significant!) and the gold for Francis Obikwelu in the 100m. Obviously Obikwelu isn't originally portuguese and was born in Nigeria, but he certainly feels like one - the way he heard the national anthem with the hand of his heart was very moving. And everyone was really happy. The funny thing is he came to Portugal in 1994 to work in the construction industry and today he is one of the fastest men in the world. Congratulations!

FCPorto: My club's coach resigned today, out of the blue. So here we are at the beginning of the season with no coach and what's worse, no strikers. This isn't looking good at all! It appears that things still haven't settled since Mourinho left.

Fires: Sadly, we are already used to the fires everywhere in the country in this time of the year. It's horrible to wake up everyday and see the sun in a yellow shade from all the smoke in the air, you look to the floor and there's ashes, right in the middle of the city, sometimes by the sea. The temperatures and the wind aren't helping but the truth is many of the fires are of criminal origin and that just disgusts me.

Lily Allen: What a better way to feel old than to listen to her music? She's not one of the youngest out there, still she's only 20...And she writes great lyrics. Smile is catchy but Littlest Things is a great song. I love it and I don't usually like this sort of thing.

Scholiast: Sent me a wonderful postcard from Denmark, from LegoLand to be more precise. I love Lego :)

Writing: I've been spending a lot of my time writing and it's becoming to look like a big waste of time. It's a very demanding activity - when I'm not writing, I'm thinking about what I should write next. Then when the results aren't what I expected, it's quite frustrating. I think I should try to write something different but I'd also have to start reading different things.

9 comments:

x said...

what are you writing?????

Christopher D. Bate said...

I'm with you on the writing thing. It's all in my head and not on the page. This causes me tremendous headaches.

I'm not sure about Lilly Allen. 'Smile' is catchy but I think she's becoming famous for the wrong reasons. Her interviews are more regarded than her tracks.

Still, worked for Oasis

Devil Mood said...

Chloe: It isn't good enough to even be called a novel but it's something like that. Don't want to go into details ;)

Chris: Yes, because the pen is so much slower than the mind and less sensitive. I try not to pay much attention to the interviews.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

It's such a shame that with hot weather, there come fires. I didn't realise your part of the world suffered from bush-fires. It is, unfortunately, the norm over here in summer.
I'm sure your writing is better than you think ... we are always our own worst critics.
Hope you have a fabulous weekend.
Take care, Meow

Steve House said...

It must have been confusing winning the league after Mourinho left. You must be the biggest pessimist I have ever met.

sophie said...

Writing is a constant
...but i need it - it helps
me work things out of my heart.

Your coach resigned?

Devil Mood said...

Meow: Unfortunately the fires are the rule and not the exception over here too. Happy weekend to you :)

Steve: No, I'm not, seriously.

Sophie: that's the best part of writing, it's very soothing sometimes. :) Yes, it turns out nobody liked the coach and he thought he couldn't go on. He's a serious man.

Scholiast said...

And today, my Liverpool didn't only win the Community Shield battle, but at the same time gave same Mourinho one h** of a beating -- sorry, there's just nothing to like about him.. Always bragging of the upcoming victory before the game!

And there was even our Norwegian Red, Riise, scoring..

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »