Monday, August 21, 2006

I like...

Lately I've been thinking about what I could do for a living and trying to get away from the idea that I can't do anything right and don't want to do anything anyway. I've been trying to gather a list of things I like doing, not yet considering the obstacles of each one of them. Right now it's just good to know that I like things and I'm interested in them, because it gives me hope. So here it goes:

1. As you know I like writing and I've been writing stories since I was seven. I still have that notebook with my first attempts: funny and full of spelling mistakes.
2. I love languages, their history and development, the similarities and differences between them. The more complicated the better.
3. I love books, all kinds of books.
4. I love magazines and newspapers and would enjoy working in one, but not like a reporter, it's not my style.
5. I like history and understanding what's going on in the world and why. I like to understand what I hear on the news and not just "accept" it.
6. I love astrology and I've considered studying it in more detail and maybe even getting into it professionally but...I think people around me would have a fit.
7. I love beauty products - can anyone get a job solely on this?
8. I love animals and nature but I get too emotional about all of that so I couldn't work with that everyday.
(This is reminding me of an episode of Seinfeld where George is unemployed and is wondering what to do with his life. He says: "I like sports. I could be...a sports commentator." And Jerry goes: "Yeah, right. I think they give that spots for former players and experts..." It's not that easy lol)
9. I like to know about people's life stories. Some lives are just fascinating and every one of them has something special, even if people don't see it at first.
10. I like to investigate things and I'm a bit snoopy. I've thought about becoming a private detective ;)
11. For ages my dreamjob was to be a radio DJ. It sounds like the easiest job in the world and sometimes you don't even have to pick up the songs because there's a playlist. Boring! I love music but I couldn't get a job there: first I have no musical talent and I hate music critics, as I've mentioned before.
12. And I do like Psychology, although at the moment it seems like the last thing I want to do. I like it and I think it can get better and better but a variety of circumstances have made me wonder if this is the right thing for me. I love you little science but you demand too much of me :)

12 sounds good enough for now. At least, I'm a person with interests.

Song of the day: Lilac Wine - I dreamt about this song today, I was walking down the street at night holding a stereo and this song was on. Beautiful :)

My dog's having surgery tomorrow. The poor boy...everything happens to him but I hope he pulls through this one as well.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

All of those things could take you so many places :) You sound a bit like a friend of mine who started off as a production assistant and is now a documentary filmmaker. Sometimes a path you didn't mean to start down will lead you to something you really love.

Hope your dog is going to be okay!

sophie said...

You are a wonderful writer -
I just love your style -
it's so personable -
and lively which is difficult
to achieve.
Astrology sounds fascinating.

Well, you would be great at anything
you love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smooch for your puppy:)

Anonymous said...

well you sound like a very intelligent person to me!

fb said...

Writing and sports?

Get well soon dog!

Scholiast said...

If you leave out the beauty products you could be me! :) And I'm a dictionary editor, as you know...

Or you could write travel guides? You're welcome over here anytime!

Devil Mood said...

Everyone: The dog is getting better. Yesterday he slept the whole day with his tongue sticking out. he looked cute.

Stephanie: Wow, that sounds exciting :) Documentaries are so interesting. As long as I don't settle for something I don't love, I think I'll be okay.

Sophie: And you're a wonderful compliment-giver :) Thank you so much!

Day: Thanks! Now I have to act intelligent too :)

FB: Who knows, maybe? I'd like something like that.

Scholiast: So you stuck with the "dicitionary editor" definition? :) Oh travel guides would be wonderful!! But something different, like "travel guides for lazy people" "travel guides for geeks", "travel guides for hippies" lol

kimananda said...

Yep, I'm with Scholiast...right with you on the interests until you get to beauty products. And I have no idea what one does with those interests either! :-o I'd tell you that it led me to language teaching, but really my need to be an expatriate led me to that. Maybe you, Scholiast and I were all meant to be librarians? (No, I'm not really sure of that one either, btw).

x said...

you could start by writing a couple of articles and sending them to magazines along with a cv.
you don't have to be a reporter, you can be writing articles, or be a columnist, although columnists are a bit like sports commentators in a Seinfield sense)
Best wishes for your dog. xxx

Devil Mood said...

Kimananda: You're back! :) lol I think it would be a great idea if we all got together and start a library or a bookshop. I would LOVE to work in a bookshop :)

Chloe: You're back too! ;) You can do that? It's good to know and I really value your information cause you know what you're talking about. Thanks!